The mission of the Sawubona Black Student Success Center is to provide a space that cultivates Black joy and creativity, and programming that affects change for Black scholars through cultural advocacy, social and mental well-being, mentoring, and holistic academic support.
- Provide a supportive and welcoming environment for Black students, faculty, and staff.
- Promote an understanding of and respect for diversity, multiculturalism and equity issues.
- Facilitate programming, events and activities which provide opportunities for cultural enrichment of all students, faculty, and staff.
- Assist students in navigating the many resources of the district by serving as a liaison to academic support services and opportunities
- To promote campus-wide understanding of the unique contributions of Black Americans to the life and culture of the campus, nation and world.
- To encourage within Black students a growing sense of pride and dignity based on their rightful cultural heritage, and to assist them in acquiring a growing cultural awareness.
- Create opportunities for all students to engage in the vital cultural and social experience of meeting, interacting with, and learning from students of diverse backgrounds.